English at Edward Francis Primary School
Language provides the main instrument of learning throughout the school curriculum; good language skills taught in English lessons are developed and practised through cross-curriculum activities to enhance the children’s abilities. A variety of teaching approaches are used within English to create a challenging and enjoyable learning experience to suit the learning needs of the individual child.
At Edward Francis Primary School, we strive for all children to be able to:
- Listen attentively, paying attention to detail;
- Speak confidently with intonation, expression, clear diction, accurate grammar and style with regard for their audience and purpose;
- Read fluently with good comprehension from a wide variety of text at their own level for pleasure and information;
- Develop their cognitive skills, imagination, and personal expression through a range of writing tasks using clear, concise language with accurate punctuation and grammar, in a style appropriate for the purpose;
- Make progress throughout the school to be able to spell correctly;
- Use neatly joined handwriting;
- Make fair, critical responses, about their own language work, that of their peers and that of popular authors and poets;
- Develop effective learning strategy and research skills which can be applied to any context.